Some nailphiles use soft shades as a palate cleanser, but I used Zoya Charli, a green-tinged taupe as one.
(It’s one of the impressive cremes from the Zoya Focus Collection.)
For me, this is a tame shade because it’s neutral and sophisticated, but it’s far from boring.
In some lighting, it can look more taupe, and it reminds me of pebbles and rocks along a river on a fishing trip. There’s something very ‘earthy’ about this colour, and I feel very calm when I see it.
My nails are the happiest when they sport loud, obnoxious, bold colours like graffiti. Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate something that isn’t like carrying a gong around with you. 😉
Zoya Charli Pictures
Zoya Charli Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener (Used as a base coat)
- 2 coats of Zoya Charli
- Rica Glossy Glam Top Coat
Artificial Light Photos
Natural Light Photos
- Dusty taupe with a hint of green (Yes)
- Name: Zoya Charli
- Collection: Zoya Focus Collection Fall 2015
- Press Release: Click here to see the official Zoya Focus Collection & Zoya Flair Collection press release
- Quick Look: Click here to see quick swatches & bottle shots of the Zoya Focus Collection & Zoya Flair Collection
- Colours Available in the Zoya Focus Collection: Desiree, Charli, Hannah, Janel, Sia & Lidia
- Colours Available in the Zoya Flair Collection: Tris, Cinnamon, Aggie, Estelle, Giada & Ember
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 oz)
- Retail Price: $9 USD
- Disclosure: This was provided as a press sample by Zoya.
- Where to Buy: Zoya website & NailPolishCanada
Zoya Charli Review
Charli by Zoya is like the celebrity who garners a lot of attention from the media without trying so hard.
There’s nothing that screams ‘look-at-me’ about this polish. It’s subdued, but it’s far from a snoozer. And although I don’t typically gravitate toward these kind of earthy shades, when I wore this one, it had almost a spa-like effect that made me feel calm and collected.
It’s a neutral taupe that has some green. (In certain lighting, the green appears more prominent, but other times, the taupe takes over.)
I feel like for people who tend to shy away from brights, this is a safe choice that still has that ‘something extra’.
Oh, Zoya certainly knows how to do creme nail polishes. They have some of the best formulas on the market, and although I’ve tried my fair shade of them, I never cease to be amazed by how creamy they are! Just as easily as they go on, they come off effortless, too!
Application & Formula
Charli by Zoya, like all of Zoya’s cremes is so smooth and pigmented that it’s great as nail-polish training wheels. What I mean by that is that even if you’re a beginner at painting your nails, this formula will make the whole process easier. You don’t have to work harder to get a great result!
For this manicure, I only used two coats. One coat covered wonderfully, but I always use a minimum of two coats, unless I’m using a glitter polish for layering.
Final Verdict: 8/10
If you’re like me and wear a lot of bright and bold nail polishes, this polish is a great palate cleanser that isn’t sleepy. It’s calming and has an excellent formula that Zoya is known for!
What shade is your go-to palate cleanser? Do you also think of pebbles and rocks when you see this colour? Do you wear more neutral or vivid shades?