To all my fellow Canadians, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! (I’m thankful that I have so many incredible readers like you who are smart, creative, and supportive. My blogging journey wouldn’t be nearly as rewarding without you!)
Today’s in-depth review features OPI Worth a Pretty Penne, which is from the Venice Collection that I did a Quick Look post on.
While it was advertised as being a shimmery copper, I was surprised that it was far more complex upon closer inspection.
Allow me to tell you more!
OPI Worth a Pretty Penne Pictures
OPI Worth a Pretty Penne Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener – Maintenance version (Used as a base coat)
- 2 coats of OPI Worth a Pretty Penne
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Artificial Light Photos
Natural Light Photos
- Shimmery copper (Yes)
- Name: OPI Worth a Pretty Penne
- Collection: OPI Venice Collection 2015
- Press Release: Click here to see the official OPI Venice Collection press release
- Quick Look: Click here to see my OPI Venice Collection Quick Look post
- Colours Available in the Collection: A Great Opera-tunity, It’s a Piazza Cake, Worth a Pretty Penne, Tiramisu for Two, Amore at the Grand Canal, Gimme a Lido Kiss, Be There in a Prosecco, I Cannoli Wear OPI, Gelato on My Mind, Purple Palazzo Pants, O Suzi Mio, My Gondola or Yours?, Venice the Party? (Limited-edition), Baroque…But Still Shopping! (Limited-edition) & St. Mark’s the Spot (Limited-edition)
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- Retail Price: $9.95 CAD
- Disclosure: This was provided as a press sample by PR.
- Where to Buy: Hudson’s Bay, Nail Polish Canada, Trade Secrets & select beauty shops/spas/salons
OPI Worth a Pretty Penne Review
Worth a Pretty Penne by OPI is a light copper with a champagne feel in certain lighting. The interesting thing that I didn’t expect when I saw it in the bottle was that when you look closer at your nails, the copper isn’t solid. There’s speckling with what appears to be silver or a very pale gold. However, when you view your manicure from a normal distance, the predominant shade is copper.
I really like how there’s that ‘something extra’ – it’s a little surprise for the wearer, which I definitely appreciate!
With a high-shimmer finish, from far away, it can appear metallic and super luxurious. Combined with the colour, it has a celebratory feel without looking overly flashy, and depending on what clothing you wear, it can even act like a neutral.
Application & Formula
The formula of Worth a Pretty Penne by OPI is on the thin and watery side. The first coat was sheer, and the second coat covered better and evenly. However, in certain lighting situations, I noticed that the tips looked a little lighter, so I could’ve used a third coat for fully opaque coverage. Nevertheless, the tips weren’t too obvious in most lighting, so I left it as-is.
Also, when you paint with the wet polish, you’ll see brushstrokes, but as it dries, they become much less prominent, which I was really glad about. (Very obvious brushstrokes are a deal breaker for me usually.)
Final Verdict: 7/10
Even though shimmery coppers aren’t high up on my list of favourite nail polishes, I enjoyed wearing this because it isn’t like a typical flashy metallic. It has a sophisticated nuance, which can be particularly great for those who aren’t looking for a disco-ball-celebratory nail polish.
If you had to pick from gold, silver, or copper nail polish, which would you choose? What lacquer do you wear when you want luxurious-looking nails? Would you wear this polish solo or as a base for nail art?
Ohhh… nice!! I’m really glad I added this one to my order (together with Piazza Cake) at the last moment 🙂
Now all I have to do is wait for that mailman to bring my package… another 5-7 days probably, 120-168 hours, 7200-10080 minutes… argh!!
Joyce recently posted: Rose gold skittle
Hehe, but who’s counting, right? 😉 I love your passion for polish! Hope you really enjoy all your colourful goodies when they arrive. (I especially think that you’re going to love OPI It’s a Piazza Cake!)
Such a pretty color. I would get this one, but I have another color that’s very similar to it. It looks great on you Mary! 🙂
Thank you so much for checking out my post! 🙂