When I first saw that this polish from the Modern Family Collection was called Nicole by OPI Stand by Your Manny, I immediately thought of Patsy Cline’s version of Stand by Your Man.
My father was a music lover, and Patsy Cline was one of the many artists blasting from his speakers.
And it’s pretty cool that this is a periwinkle blue. Blue was my dad’s favourite colour, but especially light blue.
So…I’m very happy to have this in my collection, not only because it’s a pretty colour, but because it reminds me a lot of my father.
Nicole by OPI Stand by Your Manny Pictures
Nicole by OPI Stand by Your Manny Swatches
All swatches have:
- Essie First Base (Base Coat)
- 3 coats of Nicole by OPI Stand by Your Manny
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Natural Light Photos
√ Periwinkle blue
- Name: Nicole by OPI Stand by Your Manny
- Collection: Nicole by OPI Modern Family Collection 2013
- Press Release: Click here to see the Nicole by OPI Modern Family Collection press release
- Colours Available in the Collection: Am I Making Myself Claire?, I Do De-Claire!, She’s Lily Something, A Like-Haley Story…, My Jay or the Highway!, Stand by Your Manny, Alex by the Books, Haley Good Lookin’…, Basking in Gloria, Luke of the Draw, A Phil’s Paradise, Candid Cameron, Back in the Gloria Days… & What’s the Mitch-uation?
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- What I Paid: Nothing! (This was provided by PR.)
- Where to Buy: Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart Canada, Jean Coutu, Loblaw & London Drug
Nicole by OPI Stand by Your Manny Review
Nicole by OPI Stand by Your Manny is a really sweet, dreamy periwinkle. In my photos, it seems to come across more as a sky blue, but I assure you that in person, it’s indeed a periwinkle.
The cool undertone makes me think of winter, but the softness of the colour reminds me of spring.
Colours like this seem to be so flattering on a myriad of skin tones. Some light blues give me a base case of the Lobster Hands Effect, but this one’s saturated enough to avoid it. Yay!
Unfortunately, when I wore this polish, the weather was pretty dismal – not much sunshine. So, I wasn’t able to properly observe the microshimmer. But, from what I could see, it looked like there were very pale pink and blue microshimmer.
At first glance, I thought they were just silver, but in artificial lighting, I could see two different colours. They’re like a sweet little surprise that only the wearer really notices.
Application & Formula
The formula was on the thin side, even though it looks like a colour that would be thick and creamy. I noticed that it was somewhat sheer, so I needed 2 coats, but then added a 3rd to even out everything.
Plus because it was thin, I wanted to prevent premature tip wear. However, as you can see if you inspect the tips of my nails, my Seche Vite pulled the polish and, yes, I got some premature tip wear! (It wasn’t too obvious in person as it is blown up in these photos.)
My suggestion is that if you want to avoid my mistake, wait an extra long time in between coats and before your fast-drying top coat. That should help. And if you really want to avoid it, use a regular non-fast-drying top coat. (Hehe, these days, I rely heavily on my beloved Seche Vite, so not using a top coat is just out of the question usually.)
Final Verdict: 7.5/10
Nicole by OPI Stand by Your Manny is a periwinkle I’m happy to have in my collection, even if the formula is more prone to premature tip wear. It’s a very pretty colour!
What’s a periwinkle polish you reach for most often? Which version of the song Stand by Your Man do you like the most? Do you have a nail polish that reminds you of a member of your family?