Happy Saturday – Hope that you’re having a great weekend (and a relaxing long weekend, for my fellow Canadians)!
After wearing OPI You’re Such a BudaPest, I knew just the glitter topper that would add the icing to the nail cake. 😉
If you’re a fan of indie nail polish, you probably already know that the KBShimmer Summer 2015 Collection launched yesterday.
One of the nail polishes is KBShimmer Precious Petals, and I was itching to wear it over my existing manicure.
I’m so thrilled with the result because it added the playful touch that I was looking for!
KBShimmer Precious Petals Pictures
KBShimmer Precious Petals Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener (Used as a base coat)
- 3 coats of OPI You’re Such a BudaPest
- 1 coat of KBShimmer Precious Petals
- KBShimmer Clearly on Top Quick Dry Top Coat (Provided by Harlow & Co.)
Natural Light Photos
Artificial Light Photos
- Glitter top coat
- Neon pink, purple, white & aqua glitters
- Fine holographic dust adds sparkle that just shines in the sun
- Name: KBShimmer Precious Petals
- Collection: KBShimmer Summer 2015 Collection
- Colours Available in the Collection: Precious Petals, Alloy Matey!, Bahama Drama, Dust in the Bottle, Foiled, For Sail by Owner, Green Weaver, Home Surf, In Yacht Water, Leggo My Mango, Lei It Again, Look on the Nightside, Moody Hues, Pink-a Colada, Pros And Bronza, R-E-F-L-E-C-T, Rum Me the Right Way, Sarong Place, Sarong Time, She’s Beyond Kelp, Shell Shock, Sterling Example, Sun & Games, Take the Punny and Run, That’s Ore Like It!, Vitamin Sea, Wave the Flag, We Be Jammin’ & What Are You Wading For?
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 oz)
- Retail Price: $9.50 CAD (This was provided by Harlow & Co.)
- Where to Buy: KBShimmer website & Harlow & Co. website
KBShimmer Precious Petals Review
Precious Petals by KBShimmer is one of the cutest glitter toppers that I’ve come across in a while. It’s like it was designed by the Care Bears or My Little Pony! (Considering that I grew up with those cartoons, this nail polish and specifically the colour combination with a pastel-purple base brings back fond nostalgia for me!)
Suspended in a clear base is tons of hexagonal glitter in a variety of colours of shapes. I saw small, medium, and large hexagons in white, aqua, purple (that sometimes can look periwinkle in some lighting), and hot pink.
But that wasn’t it! There’s also what looks like fine holographic glitter, so it adds a fairy touch that makes your nails look like the rainbow kissed it! (Who doesn’t want to be kissed by the rainbow?) 😉
Aside from the adorable glitter, what I appreciate is that the base is clear. This means that you can layer it over so many different base colours to create a completely different manicure.
It wasn’t surprising that with so much glitter and in many different sizes, Precious Petals by KBShimmer has noticeable texture. However, you can smooth it out when you add a glossy top coat. (I highly recommend adding a shiny top coat, as usual, because it makes your manicure look more uniform and pretty!)
Application & Formula
Some glitter toppers are very chunky, and you have to use the brush and dab on the glitter to get even distribution.
With Precious Petals by KBShimmer, I didn’t have to do that. First, I loaded up my brush with polish and then painted it on like usual. Afterwards, if I wanted to play around with the glitter placement, I just swept my brush on certain areas. However, you don’t have to shift around the glitter manually a lot. This is a very easy glitter polish to work with without a lot of tricky manipulation. (I think it’s because the clear polish coats the glitter nicely and allows it to apply smoothly.)
As with other chunky glitters like this, I prefer to only use a single coat layered over a base colour. Not only is it easier to remove, but it also allows your base to peek through.
You can get away with just using one coat of KBShimmer Precious Petals for a layered look. However, just in case you wanted to wear two coats, I snapped photos of that.
As you can see from the images below, one coat contains enough dense glitter on its own.
Final Verdict: 10/10
I don’t have any other glitter topper that’s a dupe of this, so it stands out as very unique in my collection.
This was super fun to wear, and I have no doubt that you’ll enjoy experimenting with it and trying it over different colours to achieve completely different manicures.
Plus using a topper like this is a great way to extend the life of your existing manicure.
Precious Petals by KBShimmer is the very first KBShimmer nail polish that I’ve ever tried, and I must say that I’m impressed with the formula and originality!
What would you layer KBShimmer Precious Petals over? Do you have any KBShimmer nail-polish recommendations for me? (I’m thinking of expanding my collection to include more of these gems!) Did you also grow up with Care Bears and My Little Pony (the original cartoon in the 1980s)?